Debbie And Tony's Photographs And Memories The Life and Times of Debbe & Tony from Southampton, England
The Life and Times of Debbe & Tony from Southampton, England

New Job New House

I started my new job today, and all went very well.  I am hoping this is the right job to see me through until retirement.

The day started with my getting up before Debbie, which is unusual since we have been getting up based on when she needed to go to work.

As I didn’t have to go in until 9am today instead of the normal 8:30am, I left the house about 8:15, to give myself plenty of time.  Drove out of our road, around the roundabout, got 100 yards down the road and then sat in bumper to bumper traffic for the next 2 miles.  It took me close to 30 minutes to do that part of the 8 mile journey, the rest at least was a bit easier, and I got there on time.

The department was in a bit of a flap, since they installed a new computer over the weekend, and as always happens in IT, things go wrong.  I learned years ago to expect the unexpected, and this morning there were a few problems, but when you have good people who have been there a few years and know the systems, it doesn’t take too much to fix them.

The boss took us all out to the pub for lunch, which was a nice change, since in the USA drinking during working hours is frowned upon.  But this place is a lot more relaxed, and everyone works together very well in the team.  I managed to make a simple change to one program today and put that into production, learned some introductory things about the software I will be working with, and hopefully by the end of the week I will be well on my way.

Sunday Debbie and I went to see the house that we are going to move into.  Debbie had seen it a few years ago, but couldn’t really remember it.  I hadn’t seen it at all, and it’s really unusual to be moving into a house that you haven’t seen before isn’t it.   Well the house was ok, not perfect, they never are, but it sits close to the top of a hill and gets a lot of sunshine both in the morning and the afternoon.     Well it looked ok on Sunday, so we went back home, packed up the cars, moved a lot of smaller stuff in, and began cleaning up.

Tonight after work we went over again with a car full of things, and will continue until the end of the week.   Saturday we are renting a truck to take the bigger stuff over (chairs, bed, wardrobe etc), so by the end of the weekend we should be moved in.

It’s going to be awkward for a few days until the internet is connected, but then we should be close to being straight and comfy.   It’s amazing how just not having an internet connection can make a big difference to your life.  We rely on the internet so much these days, well at least WE do!  Still, by the end of October I hope we are both cozy in our new home.   Life is gradually beginning to take shape.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

4 thoughts on “New Job New House”